The South Carolina State Museum in Columbia has introduced At-Home Virtual Morning Camps this December for ages 6 – 11, sponsored by AFLAC. The daily morning camps will focus on a different theme for each session, including natural history, astronomy, art, S.T.E.A.M and more. Campers can participate on their own and/or families are welcome to join in and work together throughout the session.
How Do At-Home Virtual Camps Work?
• Each 90 minute morning Zoom session will feature a different theme / activity. After a brief check-in period, a museum educator will lead participants in 30 minutes of content learning and then 30 minutes of a hands-on activity. The session closes with 15 minutes for review and final dance party.
• Camp activities are designed to be completed by individual campers and/or with families participating and working together. They are hands-on and (mostly) mess free.
• Each camp daily session comes with a kit of supplies for the activities.
• Kits will be available for pick-up at the museum from 2 – 5 pm December 5, 12 and 19. Kits cannot be mailed. If needed, alternate pick-up times may be arranged in advance by contacting [email protected] All materials are consumable and kits will not need to returned.
• Kits will include enough materials for one camper – but can be shared with other campers in the household. If sharing a kit, campers must also be sharing a screen / device and cannot be on separate devices.
What Does Camp Registration Include?
• Access to live virtual content and museum educators
• One set of materials for the daily morning session.
• Access to museum educators during “office hours” if you’d like to continue learning
The schedule is updated periodically with camp availability.
L.E.D. Reindeer Antlers
Learn about fauna and even create your own light-up reindeer antlers to wear.
Holiday Wreath Making
Learn a little about the history of the holiday wreath and even make your own to hang.
This day watch a claymation movie as a class, creating a “Miser Mask,” and drinking some yummy hot chocolate together. You may need to help your child with the hot chocolate.
Ice Age Giants
Join in for a blast from the Ice Age past and explore prehistoric SC and make your very own Ice Age giant.
Learn what clouds in space are like by creating a softly glowing nebula nightlight.
On this day experiment with a super absorbent polymer and make instant-snow and even create our own 3D snowperson.
Noon Years Eve Bling
Light up 2021 with glasses and hats and celebrate the New Year a little bit early with a virtual Noon Years Eve countdown celebration at 12 pm Noise makers and party blowers also provided in the materials kit.
Campers need basic reading comprehension skills and good fine motor skills.
Teaching interactions occur through Zoom and materials will be picked up at the museum.
All activities will occur through Zoom. Participants must have a computer, a reliable internet connection and download Zoom to their computers.
Kits will be available for pick-up at the museum from 2 – 5 pm December 5, 12, and 19. Kits will include enough materials for one camper – but can be shared with other campers in the household. If sharing a kit, campers must also be sharing a screen / device and cannot be on separate devices. Kits cannot be mailed. If needed, alternate pick-up times may be arranged in advance by contacting [email protected]
All materials are being prepped by sanitizing materials into boxes and marking those boxes with green tape once they are totally clean and safe.
Staff will be wearing masks and washing hands throughout the kit making process.
You must log in to post a comment.